Anna Bruce has an LL.M in law, an LL.M in human rights law and a Ph.D. in human rights law from the Faculty of Law at Lund University. The focus of her work is equality and non-discrimination, particularly in relation to disability, gender, migration and intersectionality.
At RWI Anna develops and supports activities in equality and non-discrimination, disability human rights and gender human rights.
Her current research focuses the added value the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) can bring to the rights of forced migrants, the relevance for and application of the understanding of disability in CRPD in the Global South, the consequences of emerging technologies of human enhancement for human rights in general and equality in particular, and the practical consequences of the framework of intersectionality for human rights implementation and adjudication.
Anna teaches at the Ph.D. program at Human Rights Studies at the Department of History and on the Master Program at the Law Faculty.
Before joining RWI Anna has worked as a researcher and lecturer at the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of History at Lund University, at the Department for Global Political Studies at Malmö University and at the Centre for Disability Law and Policy at National University of Ireland, Galway. Alongside her academic work she has worked with civil society, public authorities as well as international actors such as OHCHR. She participated in the negotiations on CRPD as a consultant for the Swedish Disability Ombudsman. She is currently appointed as an expert advisor to the government investigation on disability policy and universal design.
- Procedural rights of the asylum-seeking child with intellectual and/or psychosocial disabilities according to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Summary report, 2015)
- Which Entitlements and for Whom? The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Ideological Antecedents, MediaTryck, Lund, 2014.
- Jämlikhet och Icke-diskriminering, in Introduktion till Mänskliga Rättigheter, Anna Lundberg (Ed.), Liber, Stockholm, 2010.
- Negotiating the Monitoring Mechanism for the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Two Steps Forward One Step Back, in International Human Rights Monitoring Mechanisms: Essay in Hounour of Jakob Th. Möller, 2nd revised ed., G. Alfredsson et al (Eds.), Brill, Leiden, 2009.
- Behövs en FN-konvention om funktionshinder och mänskliga rättigheter?, in Göran Gunner och Anders Mellbourn, (Eds.), Mänskliga rättigheter och samhällets skyldigheter. En antologi från MR-dagarna 2004, Ordfront, Stockholm, 2005.
- Towards Free and Inclusive Societies for People with Disabilities, Gerard Quinn and Anna Bruce, in Disability and Social Policy in Ireland, Suzanne Quin & Bairbre Redmond (Eds.), UCD Press, Dublin, 2003.
- Human Rights and Disability: The Current Use and Future Potential of United Nations Human Rights Instruments in the Context of Disability, Gerard Quinn, Teresia Degener with Anna Bruce et al., United Nations, New York, 2002.